Easton & Potomac trackage - red lines

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Maintenance Update

As part of the process of getting ready for Saturday's OPS session I decided to work on the various electrical issues on the layout.

The turntable at Broadway also needed repair and that being accomplished I moved on to the bad switch in Thorny Point.  Some quick cleanup and it was back in working order.

Next I moved to the electrical issues with the two bridges between White Hall and Flat Top.  After working on the rail joints for each bridge nothing had changed.  The electrical issue was still there.  By chance I discovered the real problem.  During initial construction I had gotten lazy and not installed track drops on the piece of track between the two bridges.  This meant the bridges were only getting an electrical source from one direction.  So under the layout I went to installed a set of drops to provide electrical power to this piece of track.  (I don't remember it being so difficult to get under the layout during initial construction.)  With these new drops installed all is working fine.

Next I sorted the cars in White Hall and made up the Steamer.  During this process I found another switch with electrical issues and got that resolved.

The final issue raised its head when I ran the yard engine past the yard switch and noticed one of the dwarfs was not working.  Back under the layout and moving the wires from one side of the switch machine to the other and this issue was fixed.

I can't imagine what Murphy has in store for me on Saturday!

No comments: